Monday, April 8, 2013

Kira Sinclair

Interview with an Author
by Susannah

I'm so thrilled that we're able to post our very first Q & A with an author, and we hope to bring our followers more exciting interviews in the future. Our first Q & A is with someone that I personally know, and who happens to be a very sweet person, Harlequin Blaze author, Kira Sinclair.

 First, I have to give a little backstory here. A few years ago, I was at my in-laws' home when I spotted a postcard detailing Kira Sinclair's newest Blaze release. At the time, I was like, wow, I didn't know my mother-in-law read Harlequin; I knew that she tended to gravitate to Christian fiction, such as Karen Kingsbury, or other contemporary authors along the lines of Debbie Macomber. When I flipped the card over, though, I realized that it was actually addressed to them and not something that she might picked up at a local independent book store in town, which was my original thought. When I asked her about it, she was like, oh yeah, Edd (my late father-in-law) and I know Kira, and come to find out, my father-in-law had handled some insurance for her and her family. 

Around this time, I was also debating about going to an upcoming writer's luncheon in a nearby town because I was really nervous about which author I was going to sit with. Additionally, I didn't know many of the names mentioned and had only read books by just a couple of them. Linda Howard was one of them, but I knew instinctively that her table would be filled, in like two seconds flat-which it was. When I went back and read the confirmation list of the authors coming, I saw Kira's name on it, and I was like, I'm going to sit with her. I was so excited, too, because I knew now that we had a commonality and that by her knowing my in-laws, I could use them as a conversation springboard. I did go and I did sit with Kira (and her mother), and I can tell you unequivocally, that she is a super sweet and genuinely friendly person. By far, one of the most personable authors there. Moreover, after having read some of her books, I can also say that she's a good writer, and I've enjoyed reading her work, as well. And, her book covers-wow! She has some of the hottest book covers around. So, without further ado...


Q & A with Kira Sinclair

1.     Did you always want to be a writer?

Nope.  Not counting my kindergarten dream of being a ballerina, I actually wanted to be a lawyer. I’m pretty good at arguing. J But I realized that I hated writing legal briefs…they’re so boring.  It wasn’t until after my oldest daughter was born that I thought I could really do this.

2.     What would you be if you weren’t a writer?

You know, I’m not really sure.  Now that I’ve found it, writing just…fits. I’ve always had a creative streak so  I probably would have found my way to writing eventually no matter if the path had been different.  

3.   What would you say are some of the highs and lows to having a career as a writer?

The high is definitely getting to meet readers.  There’s nothing like talking with someone who loves your work.  I mean, we all like to be praised for a job well done.  And to find someone who connects with the characters and stories you’re telling is…amazing.

The low?  That’s a hard one.  I mean, there are several. The business side of the career can be difficult. Especially when all I want to do is lose myself in the characters and world I’m creating.  But, if I want others to read my work, the business side is kinda a necessary evil. 


4.   How did you get your start writing for Harlequin?

I sold my first book to Harlequin after a pitch appointment with my editor.  I also entered the same manuscript in a contest with the line and it placed second. Those two things worked together I think.  My editor and I worked on that book for almost two years before she bought it and it hit the shelves.


 5.   What drew you to writing for the Harlequin Blaze  series?

I love stories about empowered women and the sexy men they can’t ignore.  I enjoy the push and pull of discovering a new relationship.  And the sparks and sizzle that go along with that. 

6.   Do you have a book that you’re most proud of or one that is your favorite?

That’s like asking me which kid I love the best. And just like my kids, each book has it’s own strengths and weaknesses. Some of them are more difficult than others…but those books usually push me to grow as a writer.  Some books I’m drawn to the heroine, some the hero, some the way they meet or the emotional intensity behind their conflict.  I have to fall in love with every story or else I wouldn’t be able to write it.

7.   What is your favorite book and why?

My all time favorite book is Honey Moon by Susan Elizabeth Phillips.  It’s one of her earlier books, but it is So. Dang. Good. It’s a little more…epic than some of her later work, but it’s still got her trademark humor and depth of character.  I dare you to read the book and not fall in love with the lead character.  It isn’t possible.


8. Do you have any future plans to write
    outside of series?
     
Sure, I’d like to.  I’m always looking for ways to challenge myself as a writer.  I’ve got several projects in the works, but I’m about to release a paranormal novella sometime in April. It’s different from my Blaze work, but it’s definitely got an amazingly sexy hero – a fallen angel who’s been banished from hell.  He’s yummy - a little broken and seriously tarnished.
    
9. What advice would you give someone who is looking to get their work published?

Write, write, write.  And trust your own instincts.  This business can be brutal and if you let it, the doubts will tear apart your creativity.  At the end of the day, if you can walk away from writing, then you weren’t meant to do it.  I can barely manage to take a week off – even if I should – without the ideas, characters and words pushing to get out. 

The best way to figure out who you are as a writer is to put words on the page.  Try new things. Challenge yourself to step out of your comfort zone.  Figure out what you’re good at…and what you’re bad at.  Play to your strengths and try to improve your weaknesses.

10.Okay, this is the last question. I’ve noticed that you’ve got some pretty hot book covers. Which book cover is your favorite?

The Risk-Taker is pretty hard to beat.  But, I’ve seen the preview for my July cover – She’s No angel – and it’s pretty darn hot.  WE have an amazing art department at Harlequin.  I’ve been very blessed by the cover gods. 

Thank you, Kira!







No comments:

Post a Comment