Monday, September 2, 2013

The Running Series by DeLaine Roberts

Running to You (Running #1)
by DeLanie Roberts

I read this book in one sitting, but this book was full of distractions.  I loved the concept of the book with the sales rep and the doctor, because I am a nurse, I have to say the research was not there. They must do things different in Texas because the references made in this book were not typical medical situations that I have been in. 

The dialog was horrible, almost no apostrophes and no slang, who talks like that?  I thought that the character’s were too wishy washy with their feelings.  One minute I love you then, get out of here I don’t want to see you again.  I mean get it together already.  I thought the identical twin twist was a good idea and would have loved for it to go further.

   I just thought there were too many concepts in this book from the rape to the getting pregnant on the first night she has consensual sex.  This book was too “all over the place” for me.  And the musical references about every scene was a definite turn off for me, I almost put the book down because of this.  The ending I imagine was suppose to be dramatic, but turned into a big flop leaving you with more questions than answers.

 Sorry I can only give this book 2 ½ stars, I really wanted to give it more for the concept, but there were too many distracting factors warranting the lower rating.  I am curious about the twin Harrison, who is dark and mysterious.  I would give his book a shot. 

Synopsis
Alexandra Morrison believes she has found the perfect job as a medical sales rep in Dallas, until she has an infuriating encounter with the elusive Dr. Grayson Brooks.

Grayson is used to getting his way until he crawls up the wrong side of this stunning redhead when he gives her the brush off.

What starts out as a planned business meeting winds up being an unplanned entanglement. But as the past haunts the couple’s future, Alexandra keeps her running shoes on and the exit door in sight.

Will Grayson conquer her ultimate fear of trust in a relationship or will he loose out to her doubts when he makes a dreadful mistake?

Two Sides of a Heartbeat (Running #2)
 by DeLaine Roberts





Two Sides of a Heartbeat is the second installment of the Running series.  It was better than the first book by far but I still had major issues with this book.  I am going to review this book differently than I usually do.  I am going to make a list and then give reasons for each.

Likes:
-much better than the first book
-better dialogue
-characters were not bad
-plot was decent
Dislikes:
-horrible editing
-too many title references
-kidnapping concept didn’t make sense

Ok here we go, the editing in this book needs improvement. There were so many editing issues that it was everything I could do just to finish this book.  It was so distracting.  Examples include no spacing between words (and there were a lot of those), no spacing between sentences, and no chapter breaks.  But the biggest distracting was a pivotal point in the story when the lead character is supposed to be cheating on his wife and she sees him at the gym one night and immediately checks into a hotel.  The story even goes on to explain that she woke up, took a shower and had to put on her clothes from the night before and the character hated to do that.  Then she goes to confront her husband and says “I saw you this afternoon…” and then tells her side of the story when it was actually the day before.  These examples are hard to overlook.  Also the title was mentioned at least 5 times during this book.  I do not need to be reminded of the title of this story over and over.  Also, the last book ended in a cliffhanger that is the only reason I read this book because I wanted to know who took her and why.   That was never explained in this book and was swept under the rug.  Why? Why? Why? Why would you do that in one book and then no use the concept in the sequel?  I am so confused.

On a brighter note, this story progressed well and the characters were more developed than in the first book.  The plot was better and the overall writing was better.  I probably wouldn’t have ripped this book so much if not for the editing.  I would give this author another try and will continue this series just for Harrison’s story.  He is so mysterious, with an alpha male feeling to him.  I would, however, ask that you get a decent editor before releasing any more books. 

Concept and storyline 3.5 stars

Characters 4 stars

Editing 1.5 stars



No comments:

Post a Comment